The Week of 3/17/2016

large

This week has so far been spent first attending the meeting at the Archives and deciding what needs to be done for my fellow group members. Beyond that I have gotten some information from Chris about Jokerville mine which separates it out from the Crested Butte Mine which will require a bit of sifting through the original information that was used upon the Crested Butte Mine page. I have also started searching for photographs of the Jokerville mine but have found little outside of the Denver Library’s archive which apparently somehow holds copyright on pictures well over one hundred and thirty years old. Which makes no sense and I am not sure how the Denver Library can claim copyright let alone charge for any usage but without being certain I will not endanger the site since it is technically owned by the Steelworks of the west center.  In Addition I have gotten scans of the Bokoshe mine map which Chris and I found in the archive but it seems that they were not smoothed out or flattened before scanning making putting them together a difficult prospect. As the air-bubbles are not uniform and thus throw off hard to narrow down pattern of expansion and constriction of different lines through the middles of the maps. In Addition I have started on pulling together the research on the Frederick Mine as well as working on more employment cards however many seem to be impossible to read and will most likely be deleted if the archive does not have a use for the new versions. None the less this week well just now I learned that my group has lost a member randomly without any prior knowledge however I do not see that affecting the progress of the site. Hopefully I will be able to build up more on the site.

The week of 3/10/2016

anime_norogami__id_4_animation____gif__by_edicionesssj2-d772pbr

This week I have only added the histories and edited photographs to the Brookside and Berwind mines. I also have hunted for pictures to add to the pages to help space out the appearance of the histories. Most of the pictures are at the end of a very long cue presently. As I was able to get a collection of 500 employment cards from Chris and have been trying to make them even and cut out the background, while keeping them legible.  So far they have started to come around but the time for edits on one seem to be around 5 minutes a piece on the easy ones where the employee signed in pen, the ones in pencil average around 15 minutes and even then are not as legible as I would prefer. However the employment cards I have completed 17 so far, and plan to work on more. I was not able to get to the archive last Thursday due to a migraine, but will stop by this week, after I have completed the paper required for Philpott. After I complete the paper I will be digging through everything I have gotten my hands on to complete another list of information I need to compile to properly set the site up for usability beyond the structure

The Week of 3/3/2016

joker-2boh2bwhat2bthe2bheck2bill2blaugh2banyway

 

This past week I have completed the histories of the Crested Butte, and Maxwell Mines and updated them. I also hunted down more pictures tilted them to be as squared as possible, and cut off the white edges from the earlier scanning. After adjusting the tilt and cropping the pictures I did a saturation and contrast alteration to make the pictures pop a bit more, and uploaded them. I also created two pages for Austin and Tim to play on on scalar so that they can become accustomed to the often clunky nature of the sites set up. Both pages are currently located under the Arizona state file tree location, as presently there are no identified mines in that tree. I  also plan to forward the blog  address that Dr. Rees left me to Tim. Aside from that I need to talk to Tim and Austin about their blogs. Other than that I plan to visit the archive on Thursday after class to see if I can pull some audio files and get started on the audio file cropping unless Tim has started on it. outside of that I need to check on the Map scanning and digitizing that Chris said he would get Trevor working on. Beyond that I will need to pull more research materials on other mines so that we can at least get the ten histories in place before worrying about the attachment of the audio files. In addition I plan to continue to pull and edit photos from the steelworks of the west archive and upload them to the proper mine pages with the hopeful effect of proving each page with an optimistic 6 photos a piece, which for some mines is all but a pipe dream.