Week of April 28th 2016



This week I have been working on finishing up the last few things I can add to the site including the addition of fatalgrams, rounding out the histories and adding  breaks in the pages to add definition to the sections. So far I have heard nothing from my team members from the class so It is unlikely that Aston will be contributing . I have also continued to add audio clips to soundcloud, and have started back up on attempted conversion and implementation of employment cards however so far I am not sold on the addition of the cards directly to the pages and am looking into alternatives.


The Week of April 14th 2016


This week is the required project readiness post, so hang on to your hats. The first obstruction to being at 100% completion has been the loss of Tim and Austins lack of response over the last few weeks, in spite of those losses the project is in general terms  is presently around 85-90%  completed according to the proposal. What that means in specifics follows. The restructuring of the directories and uniformity aspect of individual pages has been completed. Of the 10 expected mine histories nine have been completed with a 10th expected to be hammered out this weekend. All photographs uploaded by the myself have been enhanced, cropped and had a citation added to them referencing back to the Steelworks of the West Archive. New maps and reworked maps have been uploaded to the site and linked into their proper pages from last semester and this semesters as well where applicable. Presently 3 audio clips of the Scamhorn interviews have been added to three distinct mines, with other audio recordings converted into mp3 formats for cutting this weekend, and then adding to soundcloud and adding the player to the bottom of each page. Completion of the loading of 3 Fatalgrams incorporation into the site has occurred with the minor problem of two being located on one mine.  The incorporation of a new GIS system so far has not been implemented to my knowledge at present and I have not received word from Austin on any aspect of that feature.

The Week of 4/8/2016


This week I am working on completing the general histories for 3 mines to fill them out as best as possible. Those mines being Pictou, Frederick, and Jokerville. I also have been listening endlessly to audio recordings to find where I need to cut each of them before I even attempt to upload them to soundcloud. Although with Tim leaving the class most of the progress already made did not suffer, the requirements that were enumerated with in the proposal placed upon him must fall to me, with Austin being incommunicado.  I have been working to locate precisely where in each audio file the required information (mine name dropping occurs, and then how long after that point o we switch topics where I can cut out or fade out. I have been able to add an audio file to the Allen mine presently but still expect more to do as some of the files are larger than I seem able to convert or cut. I have requested more information from Chris on Pictou so that I can add to what I put in last week and have found at least one picture I can upload to joker although it needs some serious clean up as it is a picture of a memorial placard naming those who died in the accident. I am also expecting to have a meeting with Dr. Rees this Thursday afternoon at the archive to go over I expect what has been done and what can be done before the final publication of the site and what will have to be left at the wayside.